|Dimension||Model||Construct||Impact on Overall||Definition|
|Discourse Cohesion||Language Use||Connectives||Mild||How your response is formed to connect ideas.|
Responses with a higher Discourse Coherence score (i.e. more connectives) correlate with high TOEFL Speaking scores.
- Good: 26-30
- Fair: 18-25
- Limited: 10-17
- Weak: 0-9
What this chart tells us
For the Discourse Coherence dimension, there is a mild relationship between the pronouns and conjunctions and connectives in your response and your overall TOEFL Speaking score. To earn a high overall TOEFL Speaking score, you likely need to produce a more cohesive response than most other test takers.
You are here - What this line means (and why the bars overlap)
- the Discourse Coherence score for this response is 12 (i.e. it scored in the 12th percentile)
- 88% of all responses scored higher; 12% of all responses scored lower
- responses with a Discourse Coherence score of 12 are generally consistent with an overall TOEFL Speaking score in the Limited range
- responses with a Discourse Coherence score between 55 and 76 scored in the Fair and the High ranges (i.e. where the blue/green bars overlap)
- the Impact of this dimension is 2/4, meaning there is a mild correlation between Discourse Coherence and your overall TOEFL Speaking score