|Dimension||Model||Construct||Impact on Overall||Definition|
|Phrase Length* ||Delivery||Fluency||Strong||How long your phrases (also called 'chunks') are (in words).|
Responses with a higher Phrase Length score (i.e. more total words) correlate strongly with high TOEFL Speaking scores.
What this chart tells us
For the Phrase Length dimension, there is a relationship between the number of words in your response and your overall TOEFL Speaking score. To earn a high overall TOEFL Speaking score, you likely need to use longer sentences most test takers.
- the Phrase Length for this response scored is 45 (i.e. it scored in the 45th percentile)
- 55% of all responses scored higher; 45% of all responses scored lower
- responses with a Response Length score in the 45th percentile are consistent with an overall TOEFL Speaking score in the Fair range
- responses with a Response Length score between the 70th and 75th percentile scored in the Fair and the High ranges (i.e. where the blue/green bars overlap)
- the Impact of this dimension is 3/4, meaning there is a strong correlation between Phrase Length and your overall TOEFL Speaking score
* Before October 1, 2022, Phrase Length was called Response Length. Only the name changed.